Tuesday 3 November 2009

Latest activities – Bus Station/SYHSP/Planning

  1. I was invited to visit the new Bus Station site. Not a great deal to see of course – it's a building site like many other. But like most blokes, I always find them interesting. Although I'd be the first to admit that I probably wouldn't if I'd ever worked on one!

    Anyway Alun Thomas, the Authority's man on site, our man with clipboard and hard hat, showed me around. I like Alun, I got to know him when he was the Clerk of Works of the Constitution Hill refurbishment. And he delivered a good outcome there with lots of consultation with residents. He's a straightforward guy, no messing, and no bullshit. Unfortunately he had his work cut out with me on this project – I arrived unconvinced and left in much the same state. It's just like the old bus station – but...er...new! To be fair, that was not Alun's fault – I think it's in the wrong place and that it's the wrong design. I consider that it should be by the station, I cannot see how we can aspire to be a major European city and have our bus and train stations on opposite sides of the city centre. I've thought that since Labour were in control pre the 2004 election. I also think that it should be a drive through bus station, as many other cities' stations are – I consider that this great bus pad reversing area to be a waste of space. But that's an argument lost – well it would have been, if there had ever been a discussion about it.

    Still it is going to have seats (proper ones – not bum recliners) and a waiting room for the long distance buses and a cafe, which are clearly good and overdue ideas.

    I was also very interested at the relics of Swansea's past that were 'unearthed' or exposed in the works – for example the cellar of a pub – complete with cases of beer, barrels and so on, just abandoned when the original building were pulled down.

  2. I went to the SYHSP (Swansea Young Single Homeless Single Person Project - at least I think that's what it stands for) event in the Grand Theatre. This is the organisations Annual General Meeting, with a presentation of certificates to the young people for the achievements and a showcase of their performing talents. I went last year – when it was in the Liberty Stadium. They have learnt the lessons from then as the AGM was moved to a separate session – rather than subject all of us to it. Necessary and all, but as someone who goes to lots of similar things I'd be the first to admit that they're not the most exciting way to spend an afternoon. Indeed, Kev Johns was suggesting that those who misbehaved would be made to attend – and those who really misbehaved would be made to go twice.

    However, the young people were great. It just shows that there is potential in everyone – and in some a great deal. All it needs is the time and the dedication to see it and get at it. I have great respect for people who work in this field, it must be really hard work – but when it succeeds it must be really rewarding. But is it not a mark of failure on those of us who are responsible for providing services and support to these young people? How do you motivate a young person who has, to all intents and purposes, been abandoned by the system that is supposed to help them? Against the odds these young people came through – not for any but themselves. I was full of admiration for their achievements.

    I had similar thoughts when I was at the recent Adult Learners Awards. This is to recognise the achievements of adults who had learnt to read and write and become numerate after years (and in some cases many many years) of being unable to do so. Again admiration for them, not only for recognising their 'deficiency' but then their doing something about it. I was also impressed at the support that many of them were given from their workmates and employers – but especially for those who were doing it on their own. I was very moved by this event.

    I am a great reader and have always been so, my father was keen on books and my brother and I were always encouraged to read. I have lots of books, thousands probably. But I take the skill, the facility rather for granted. I don't really understand what it must be like not being able to do it. I don't mean just the pleasure denied but the lack of opportunity. Also how do you deal with what other people just take for granted like I do and assume that you must be able to do it as well? Two stories, one lady of certain years – she was older than me anyway – who had learnt to read and found that she really liked ghost stories and from which she was getting great pleasure and a young/middle aged man, holding down a job, relying on his mates to help him out, but who had always looked on with envy at people on trains etc who were reading books. It was something he had always wanted to be able to do. The visible pride he had in himself when he got his certificate – perhaps the only educational certificate he had – was incredible, he was feet taller! But how did we fail these people this way, how did we fail these obviously intelligent people? How did they fall through the net? If there's any 'deficiency' it's not theirs but ours. We should be shamed by it. But what's worse is that the current council Administration has cut this programme and it's unlikely to continue in its present form. Now that really is something to be ashamed of.

  3. I was going to write about the Panning Task & Finish Group last Friday. But I can't really bear to. It's not the fault of the people on the Group who are all well intentioned and motivated – but I've being discussing this stuff with the Leader of Council for years already and nothing's ever changed. So it all feels a bit Groundhog day-ish to me, but to their credit the Group has achieved progress. Aargh!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree about the location of the Bus Station. It needs to be next to the station.
    There have been many opportunities for it to have been based there over the years - when the car park by John Burns gym was redeveloped; when the car park opposite was sold and turned into pensioners residential flats. Plus the council have delayed it for so many years that they could have taken the opportunity to evaluate where it SHOULD be. (Which Holley incorrectly blamed the delay on WAG as they didn't hand over enough cash for it - well you shouldn't have pissed away the cash you did get on the Bendy Bus).
    If the bus station was in the right place then it would have stopped the city being ripped apart for the Bendy Bus. Not only that but the redevelopment of High St would have taken care of itself.
    As it is we now have a dis-jointed, inefficient and dangerous public transport system in Swansea (have you tried crossing the Kingsway as a pedestrian now??).
    The bus lanes, dual carriage ways, buses on the wrong side of the road and far too many traffic lights all make Swansea one of the worst to navigate for ANY form of transport.
    Years ago it was proposed to sink the carriageway of Oystermouth road underground, but money ruled that out. This would have been an effective solution, but we are once again left with a half-arsed solution from a half-arsed council.

    ReplyDelete