Friday 4 December 2009

Welsh Labour Leadership contest

So it's all over – although the dust is still to settle and there's bound to be more kicked up when Carwyn announces his Cabinet – if only (and almost certainly) by the media.

The winner was hardly a surprise – indeed he had been the favourite since before the contest actually started. But it was a decisive result – and can hardly be quibbled with. He won in every category – and on the first ballot. That was a surprise. Certainly Edwina Hart must be disappointed by that – because I guess she would have been counting on getting some second preferences from Huw Lewis. It was widely expected that Carwyn would do well with the MPs and affiliates, but that Edwina would de better with the party members. Not so, in the event, although there was not much in it.

I was at the announcement in the theoretically secret location, that I wasn't allowed to disclose to anyone, but which all the media knew about as clearly did Plaid – given that Helen Mary Jones was hanging around outside to congratulate the winner (what was that about – was she hoping for a job in the new Cabinet?). Anyway, I cannot be compromising security now – so I'll tell you it was the Wales Millennium Centre.

Rhodri's valedictory speech was his usual mix of eccentricity, charm and humour. And he got two standing ovations – and that was hardly surprising either. His street popularity and recognition factor is something that Carwyn will have difficulty matching – for a while at least. But Rhodri will I am sure be out on the stump at the next elections.

Carwyn's acceptance speech was his usual polished performance and paid gracious tribute to his colleagues. And I am not going to say anything about that. Edwina's speech was also excellent – also gracious and funny. Huw Lewis' was...well strange. I had no idea where he was going with his complicated opening story/joke. (It wasn't helped by the fact that I have never seen the XFactor and absolutely no idea who or what he was (supposedly) talking about). He got a bit emotional in his thanks, especially to his wife (but as a 'blubber' myself I don't criticise him for that). I was surprised that he seemed so disappointed – he can't seriously have expected to win can he? I thought he did very well in the votes – whether that can be translated into his having staked out some territory will remain to be seen.

All eyes now will be on Carwyn's Cabinet. I have no inside knowledge (and wouldn't tell you if I did) but what will his balance be between reward and spread? Will there be a re-allocation of portfolios with Plaid? I wouldn't bet on anyone, but I would guess that Edwina Hart should be safe, not least as who the hell would seriously want the Health portfolio? Will the portfolios all remain predominantly in the south-east of Wales?

On the contest itself, I think it's shown Welsh Labour as a serious grown-up party. Prepared to engage in an open discussion of ideas. I believe that we have shown the other parties how to do it. Well apart from the announcement itself. I didn't really get the point of having it announced by an attractive young blond woman. What was wrong with the usual and clearly more suitable wrinkly old men in suits! Especially when I was eye-level with her knees and she was wearing a very (very) short skirt....

1 comment:

  1. The result was pretty much as expected with "Teflon" winning the leadership battle. I was suprised though that he won so convincingly as you say. I thought Edwina had a good campaign and came across very well, I just hope she carries on in her current role because she has done a lot of good as the Health Minister, especially by keeping neurosurgery in Swansea.

    David, were you suprised at Andrew Davies announcing his intention to step down as an AM?

    ReplyDelete