Thursday 15 October 2009

Day 3 additional

Well I got the email total down to just over 200 – so that was a pretty big dent. No doubt it will be back up again by tomorrow. And as I suspected I was able to delete most of them without having to do anything. Except read the damned things of course. Email is a very useful tool and is certainly a good way for constituents to get in touch ...but I don't know, the world has continued to turn and would have done so, without any of these having been written.

This evening I went to the monthly council Labour Party meeting. It's where I (as Party Group Leader) report back to the party members on activity on the Council, where we discus the future plans and develop policy. I enjoy these particular meetings - members are always very engaged and interested with lots of useful ideas and contributions. Being in politics can sometime feel like your in one of John Cleese's training films – there was called I think "Not Another Bloody Meeting". There's a meeting for this and meetings for that, committees here and sub-committees there and working groups somewhere else. Branch meetings, constituency, county, trade union, group – and that's just the internal stuff. But yes, I enjoy them, I like the debate, explaining what we are up to, listening to what others have to say...there has to be something wrong with me, I think! Well, I don't like all of them, all of the time. Obviously! I am not completely barking.

But its interesting times in the Labour Party at the moment what with the selection for the new Assembly member in Swansea East and the Assembly Leadership contest. Am I going to discuss these ... I think I'll keep my council for the moment. Discretion being the better part of valour and all that.

One thing I will say is that if you are anti-fascist/anti-Welsh Defence League/anti-BNP – after all they're really much the same thing (unless somebody - Cllr Robinson? - can tell me otherwise) – you can show your distaste for these sorts of politics on Saturday afternoon by joining the 'silent' gathering in Castle Square.

No comments:

Post a Comment